Summer Plant Care
Check out these general summer care tips to make sure your lawn, garden and trees stay healthy and green all summer long. It has been a hot season, and now, more than ever, you need make sure your garden and home landscape are getting the proper attention.
General Summer Season Tips
- Stake larger varieties of perennials such as delphiniums.
- Begin leaf spot control on tomato plants and stake young tomato plants; late staking contributes to blossom end rot.
- Tie climbing roses to trellises.
- Perform last picking of rhubarb at the end of the month to allow roots to store energy for the next season.
- Mulch you garden after the soil has warmed up later in the month.
- Fertilize lawns, flowers, and gardens.
- Continue weeding.
- Prune and shape new growth on arborvitae, juniper, and yew.
- Trim evergreens and hedges.
- Prune pines, spruce, and fir trees early to mid June.